Skip to content
337-704-2615 contact @

The Mississippi Criminal Justice Process: What Happens After Sentencing

After a Mississippi offender has received a prison sentence, he or she will be picked up by the Mississippi Department of Corrections and transferred to CMCF (Central Mississippi Correctional Facility) in Rankin County for processing.  Both men and women are taken to this location in Pearl, Mississippi, although they will be in separate facilities. At CMCF, the inmate will go through the receiving and classification process, which can take between two weeks and 45 days.

During the receiving and classification process, offenders undergo a series of evaluations, tests and interviews, including:

  1. Medical exam  to evaluate overall health and test for sexually transmitted diseases
  2. Psychological evaluation
  3. Intelligence testing and educational background
  4. Case managers interview the offender about their personal and family history, criminal history, and any gang affiliations. The case manager will evaluate the offender’s need for rehabilitation and educational instruction.
  5. The offender learns the rules and regulations regarding life as an inmate.

After these steps have occurred, the offender receives their classification level and housing assignment.

The Mississippi Department of Corrections collects the above information in order to run the prison in an efficient and safe manner. A primary goal is to make sure that an inmate is not housed in the wrong conditions or with the wrong type of people.  For example, if an inmate has shown strong violent tendencies, the Department of Corrections may want to limit that inmate’s exposure to the general population of inmates. Generally speaking, the DOC is simply trying to keep the peace — the conditions in prison are tough enough without mixing the wrong people together.

Our Criminal Defense Law Firm represents clients charged with felonies and misdemeanors in Mississippi and Louisiana. If you need help with a criminal charge, please contact our law office for a free initial consultation.

Back To Top